Here are some issues to consider:
- What's it mean to you to "act white" or "act black"?
- Have you seen someone you thought was "acting white" or "acting black"? How did it make you feel?
- Have you been accused of "acting white"? How did you react?
- Has the "acting white" issue been overblown? Is it really a problem?
- How important is your racial identity to you?
- Do white rappers have any business doing hip hop?
90.3 WCPN Moderators: Dan Moulthrop & Tasha Flournoy
Our discussion will include some nationally-known scholars:
Dr. Angela Neal-Barnett, Kent State University researcher of the "Acting White" phenomenon.
Bakari Kitwana, author of Why White Kids Love Hip Hop: Wangstas, Wiggers, Wannabes, and the New Reality of Race in America.
Jason Tanz, author of Other People's Property: A Shadow History of Hip-Hop in White America.
Plus, we'll have the music of a Northeast Ohio Mixed-Race Hip-Hop Duo Johnny La Rock & Mush Mouth -- also known as Eddie Fleisher and Aaron Donahoo. They recently spent a week on the popular Vans Warped Tour of alternative music acts.